Saturday 29 October 2011

Fruity Pumpkin Scones

Another sweet recipe here. I don't usually make a lot of sweet things. I'll happily whip up a cake if visiting people for dinner, or a coconut & mango rice pudding if MikeyFox & I have a rare (usually Great British Bakeoff related) urge for pudding. But mostly I'd rather eat an apple. But right now I'm in need of comfort, and these still warm from the oven are pretty damn comforting.

Fruity Pumpkin Scones

250g wholemeal spelt flour (or plain flour, I just use it because I like my scones dense & nutty*)
50g demerara sugar
50g butter
100g mashed cooked pumpkin
75g dried mixed fruit
50ml milk
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Preheat oven to 200C. Line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper or dust with flour. Combine flour, spices, raising agents & sugar in a bowl. Rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the pumpkin mixture, and add as much milk as you need to bring it together into soft dough (how much depends on how wet your pumpkin is, you might not even need milk at all). Flop the dough onto a floured surface & roll out 3 or 4cm thick. Cut out shapes (I used a pumpkin cookie cutter, but you can use anything to hand) & arrange on the baking sheet. Brush the tops with a little milk & bake for 20-25 minutes, or until risen & golden on top.
Serve warm or cold with butter, or cottage cheese and a cup of tea.

*Cue I-like-my-women-like-I-like-my-scones jokes (covered in BEES!)

No comments: